How can we improve Nintex Workflow for Office 365?

Conditional Start

In Workflow 2010/2013 on premise when setting automatic start for create/modify as well as Yes and No we also have Conditional. We can then use a condition builder to specify eg. column values including what they used to be and what they are now. Can we have this in Workflow O365.
I know that this has already been asked for but it looks like the requirement wasn't clear

303 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Andrew Wolfe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Danielle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was looking for this option as well. We just upgraded to Nintex Online and we use conditional start quite often on prem for SP 2010.

• John Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is yet another limitation of Nintex in O365, I'm increasingly finding my hands tied by the limitations of Nintex in 365, to the point where I'm starting to move away from the product.

• Warwick W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Certainly required asap, as Nintex in Office 365 is badly limited by workflow service throttling, and trying to replace conditional start with If statements of SM I run into throttling...

I'm really hoping now Nintex have release Cloud they can assign devs back to their other products and get some updates happening...

• Jaap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide update about this urgent requirement which is standard functionality in SharePoint versions since day 1. The date of Planned indicates September 2015, all other new functionality is nice to have but essential tasks like Conditional startup settings simply need to be available as in the existing Nintex On premise versions or need to be replaced with a proper other action to make it happen. It's not acceptable that a corporate user with 400+ WF's can't make the migration happen due to this missing core function!

• Jaap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this functionality ASAP as this requirement is almost used in every workflow we do!!!!

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about this functionality? Nowadays, I think Nintex for Office 365 is too expensive to not support this functionality. Fist, improve the app and then you can raise the price!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is simply unacceptable.... 2 years later, still no such functionality... The O365 version is simply falling apart and cannot be used as a real enterprise grade workflow tool.

The conditional start action is very important part of workflow creation. When this will be including for office365?

• Andrew Szekely commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used conditional workflow starts in SharePoint/Nintex 2010 to generate email notifications; i.e.- issue logs, approvals, etc.

Latest O365 doesn't provide that unless you embed extensive substring variables to incorporate InfoPath form values, Notify=Yes or No, etc. to generate workflow start.

• Nathan Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Put in my votes--hoping goes from scheduled to under development very soon.

On a side note, Emiel's comment below is a creative and effective way to get around this for many use cases. I have a workflow I only want to run if the status is changed.

To set the table, create two fields (one called Status, the second called StatusSync), and write the same values to them when the item is created. Example: Status: Ready, and StatusSync: Ready. In the form, hide StatusSync.

Then write a workflow that starts with the Filter action. Configure the Filter to end the workflow if the values match. If they don't match, you can proceed with a Switch action, which will consider the new status and determine what to do next. End the workflow with writing back the value in Status to StatusSync, which will set the table for the workflow to work all over again the next time the status is changed.

Bravo, Emiel! You've helped me past this product limitation with a creative work-around.

We greatly need Conditional starts for our large-scale migration from on prem to O365. I see that it's under development. Do you know when there might be a release date?

• Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have quite a few workflows in 2010 that are conditionally started so would be extremely handy to have. That along with using previous values of fields.

• Emiel Schönfeld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The option to check on previous values would be very nice.

Tip: To check on previous values, I create an extra hidden column in which I copy the value. I use that column to compare it with the column the user is able to edit. I use start on edit & start on creation. Then in the top of the workflow I check if conditions are met with a Run If action(s). If conditions aren't met, it runs the actions in the Run If, in which I place a stop workflow action. It's not as easy as on premise and a lot more work, but it works. Would be much better and easier to get the options like you have on premise.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alex,

I agree with Eric, please re-open idea since it was over simplified, thus the answer is inaccurate. This item is not matching on-prem features where a condition could be based on previous field value, or if a field equals something, etc...

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice have conditional starting in the workflows, and could be possible to start the workflow only when a one column changes

Feedback and Knowledge Base